True sustainability considers social, environmental, and economic impact. And so, to us, sustainable jeans must achieve three things. Sustainable jeans must enrich the lives of the people who made them. Sustainable jeans must be made in a way that respects and protects our planet. Sustainable jeans must be made in a way that is economically viable for generations to come.
Our primary raw material is organic cotton.
Organic cotton is farmed with zero use of agrochemicals, such as synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers, which are known to reduce soil quality, contribute to water pollution, and severely affect the health of farmers.
According to a 2017 report by the Textile Exchange, organic cotton uses 91% less 'blue' water (from groundwater and surface-water bodies, such as freshwater lakes and rivers) than conventional cotton.
All new Outland Denim products, and our women's range are vegan friendly. We are in the process of phasing out the use of leather patches on our core Mens styles too.
There are so many possible areas to consider when searching for sustainable brands. Here are a few of our favourite tips:
1. Is sustainability information listed on their website as a first reference? At a minimum, this should include where garments were made, who made them, materials used, ethical trade agreements, and supply chain transparency. If these aren’t visible we recommend contacting the brand for more information.
2. Does the brand publish evidence that they have close relationships with, and detailed insights about, all suppliers? The closer the relationship, the more likely the brand is actively taking measures to ensure the people who make their clothes are treated fairly. Look for relationships with not only production suppliers, but further down the supply chain. Does the brand know and share with you, for example, where their cotton is farmed?
3. Does the brand publish evidence that they are producing in the most environmentally way possible, or trying to mitigate their environmental impact?
4. Does the brand invest in research, innovation, and effective community initiatives that work to improve the fashion industry and lives of the people in it?
5. Do trusted 3rd parties rate the their social and environmental claims? B Corporation, Good On You, and The Ethical Fashion Report are a few of the most credible sources. With these resources you can clearly see the strengths and weaknesses of brands (before you buy) in the areas that you value most.
6. Look out for Greenwashing! A manipulative marketing trick that brands use to make them seem more sustainable than they are. If they are missing important details and do not seem genuine, they probably are not.
Made with revolutionary social standards and the most environmentally sustainable methods available, Outland Denim is #DenimForFreedom.
Our unique business model is designed to create a cycle of empowerment for those in need, by providing opportunity, a safe and supportive working environment, a living wage, training, health-care, and education to people who have experienced, or are at risk or experiencing modern slavery, exploitation, or abuse.
Employment with Outland Denim can be transformational in the lives of their team, and each Outland Denim garment is finished with a 'Thank you' message from one of the people who made the garment, so that you know exactly who made your clothes.
Each garment is made with organic cotton, zero harmful chemicals, and innovative water and energy reducing technology.
Our sustainability efforts go well beyond production. We know the complete journey of our denim from Tier 1 to Tier 5, and in 2020 launched the Supply Network Intelligence System in partnership with Precision Solutions Group (PSG) and Nudie Jeans to support communities in the earliest and most vulnerable stages of the fashion supply chain.
Please visit the product page, select your size, and click the button displaying 'LANDING SOON | FIRST ACCESS HERE'. Leave your email address, as prompted, and we'll notify you the second more product is available.
Both are interest free payment plan options that we offer on all Australian orders.